Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Chronicle Twelve: Technical Fairies


Brian Froud the best selling artist and author of various fairy and fantasy related books; discusses in the book “Good Fairies/Bad Fairies” a fairy in particular he has named “Computer Glitch”. He describes the fairy as being linked to computer problems in which we have all once and while experienced. Such as computers crashing, calculators jamming, and darkening digital screens. Also mentioned in the publication are the following untraditional fairies; [the Ear Poking Fairy, who pokes ears and causes confusion among humans. The Credit Card Fairy who causes problems concerning credit transactions. The Pen Stealer Fairy who of course steals your pens and other small objects. The Bad Hair Fairy who loves to tangle hair which includes both human and animal.] This fairy causes you to wake up to have a bad hair day from having crazy bed head since the fairy tangled it all night. These are just a few of the quirky fairies displayed in the book.
Upon my first impression reading this book, I found it questionable. I have been a long time fan of Froud’s, however with this book I was indecisive concerning my feelings. On one hand I loved the art work and depiction of the fairies. The concern I had was that although I loved the traditional portrayal of the fairies, I did not like the quirky ones who were displayed. I thought to myself “fairies that are so intuned to modern man and his devices, that they would actually cause technical difficulties.” Let’s just say I had a difficult time being convinced these fairies could exist. This was my opinion of course until I actually had my own experience with the fairies I have coined “Technical Fairies”. I was sitting on my couch with my laptop. I had typed a blog, had uploaded a picture to accompany the text, when suddenly an odd incident occurred. About an average of twenty different photos of fairies began to pop up on my screen causing me to be unable to see the displayed blog in which I was working. I then saw faint spots floating around in my vision on the screen (this was not on my computer but in front of my face). These spots I could only determine to be my little friend or friends from the forest who had entered my home and was checking out my work. Apparently they were not satisfied or amused by my writing. I believed it must have upset them because they reacted by annoying me with the popping up photos. I thought maybe they did not like the photo I had chosen for this particular blog; therefore they were demonstrating the other possible photos I had to choose from. Never the less I went ahead and uploaded my choice. I then had to close all the photos and shut down my computer. The only explanation I could think of for this particular incident is to refer it back to Froud’s book; I was apparently punked by the Computer Glitch fairy or fairies. Have you had any technical difficulties lately? Maybe you were punked by a Computer Glitch. This has made me more open minded and has made me wonder if maybe when I’m having a bad morning and I just can’t do anything with my hair no matter how many products I use, it just has a mind of it’s own, then maybe it is just the bad hair fairy taking her turn at punking me.

No comments: